Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On feeling like a broken record. Or, 10 things i say more than 20 times a day...

1. "Sit up straight and tall, please."

2. "No saggy wrists. Show me good piano hands!"

3. "Fuck. Fucking shit, fuck."*

4. "Okay, play it one more time."

5. "Take your feet OFF the pedals. Now, please. Feet off the pedals. Sit up straight and tall."

6. "Let's try that again with a steady beat."

7. "There's something wrong with me."**

8. "Please play that again with dynamics."

9. "Sit up straight and tall, please."

10. "Oh, dear."***


*Note that I don't say "fuck" in the presence of young children during piano lessons. My daily expletive quota is most typically reached in the safe (and soundproof) confines of my car.

**Note that this, also, is not something I say in the piano lesson setting. (Although, that would be funny. I imagine the following scenario: "Good job on your new song, little Johnny. By the way, there is something wrong with me. I'm totally fucked up about relationships and my life is a complete mess. Want to take a break from 'Yankee Doodle' and go grab a drink?").

***Who knows! I just say this all the time. It's my inner spinster/old lady coming out. Oh, dear.

No comments: