Thursday, January 15, 2009

Do the shuffle. Or, musical schizophrenia...

When I switched computers recently I lost all my trusty iTunes playlists. I didn't mean to lose them, but I am a technological idiot and so they are gone. Tear. Anyway, this morning I was trying to make iTunes lemonade out of this slightly sour situation and so I turned on the shuffle feature. (Sorry for the terrible iTunes/lemonade metaphor just then...couldn't resist). Anyway, I thought this lack of playlists would be a good opportunity to rediscover overlooked music deep in the recesses of my music library. I never do this. And I was promptly reminded of why...

This is an exact transcription of what happened:

1. Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) by US3
2. Messe de Notre Dame (Kyrie) by Guillaume de Machaut
3. Le fils des étoiles by E. Satie
4. Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmer
5. Buriedfed by Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson*
6. Hey Ma by Cam'Ron
7. O Euchari by Hildegard of Bingen
8. While My Guitar Gently Weeps The Beatles
9. Black Cadilacs by Modest Mouse
10. Serenade en la by Igor Stravinsky**
11. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Harry Connick, Jr.

And then I officially gave up on the shuffle feature. Well, I think I actually gave up on it somewhere between Cam'Ron and Hildegard. If you need me this weekend, I'll be writing syllabi and compiling playlists...

*brief note: I just found this guy and I like him. Buriedfed is good...kind of Bob Dylan with thicker instrumentation and a backup choir. Good lyrics.

**brief note number two: This is my favorite piano piece of all times to perform. Fleischer is the only one who gets it right. He plays Stravinsky with loads of restraint (tempo and pedal) and an equal serving of enthusiastic passion. If you have a penchant for neoclassicism, download his recording of it.

3 comments:

Paul said...

feel the vibe from here to asia. dip trip. flip fantasia.

e.e.w. said...

i love it when you talk all music'y' it so sexy

c.e.w. said...

haha, anytime! next time i'll try to work in "polyphonic conductus" or "parametrization." but if i did that, loads of men would be knocking down my door...

ah, such is life.