Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ranting against the machine. Or, Satie says (quote of the day)...

(I've been working on my thesis...so here is a quote for you with footnote...)

"People in general seem convinced that only the Official Establishment in the rue de Madrid can inseminate musical knowledge. Good for them; but I still ask myself – with hands clasped – why we musicians are obliged to receive a State education when painters and writers are free to study as and where they want. I have always said that there is no such thing as Artistic Truth – no single Truth, I mean. The one imposed by Ministers, a Senate, a Chamber and an Institute revolts me and outrages me – even though basically I feel indifferent about it.
With one voice, I cry: Long live Amateurs!"1


1 As quoted in Alan Gillmor, Erik Satie (New York: W.W. Norton, 1988), 13. This passage is taken from Satie’s contribution to the summer 1922 issue of Le Feuilles libres in which the young composer attacked Lavignac’s book, Music and Musicians.

No comments: