Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Notes from the Underworld. Or, confessions of a community college adjunct faculty member (part deux)...

I'd like to preface the following paragraph by mentioning that I love my job and that I teach a great deal of very bright, inquisitive students at the community college where I work. That being said, sometimes a community college is...well...a community college.

And now I will rant.

I have a student in one of my classes this semester who is seriously testing my patience. Here's the latest in a string of tedious and trying interactions: On a listening quiz last week I asked a question about this piece by English renaissance composer William Byrd. The question was simple and straightforward, "When and where was this piece written and in what setting would it have been performed?" All I wanted was for them to regurgitate some basic contextual information from class (i.e. England, late 16th century, sacred/performed in church setting). Some students went so far as to give me a specific date and discuss the fact that it was premiered in London. However, the-kid-about-whom-I-am-ranting wrote on his quiz, "Europe, Renaissance." So, I took off half a point. I gave him "renaissance" but said I at least needed a specific country (as we had spent all week discussing how renaissance music varied between Italy, France, and England) and a setting (sacred or secular). Now, this kid stayed after class for TEN MINUTES arguing with me about this one stupid effing half a point, because, as he said, "the book says this piece was written in Europe." Well, duh. I told him I wanted a country. His response: "I told you Europe." My response: "Europe is a continent, not a country." His response: "The book said Europe was the country."

Ahhhh!!!!!!!!

As my mother used to say, "Patience is a virtue, seldom found in women and never found in men."

I've never been a very virtuous woman.

No comments: