Sunday, April 26, 2009

Une chanson pour vous...

Confession: I'm not really a fan of much (quote-unquote) world music. As a genre, "world music" is sorely underrepresented in my music library. I feel it is something I should appreciate, like bebop or Guinness or nineteenth-century Italian opera, but I just have never developed a taste for it. However, I am recently very obsessed with this track from Amadou & Mariam's new album, Welcome to Mali. This track is called Sabali, a word that Mariam describes on their website as meaning "...la patience qui est synonyme de tolérance de l’homme envers la femme et surtout de la femme envers l’homme...." (Rough translation: "the patience that is synonymous for the tolerance a man shows for the woman and especially that the woman shows for a man.") Ha! I'll say. It really is mostly just tolerance, isn't it? Sans ce soucier, la chanson est très, très bon. Écoutez!



Actually, the whole album is pretty great. Including (somewhat ironically) the track, Ce N'est Pas Bon. Listen to more here. I love Mariam's voice. And I am choosing to forgive them for going on tour with Coldplay this summer. We all have to make sacrifices for our art, you know.

No comments: