Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A slice of rural American pie...

Thanks to facebook and status updates from high school acquaintances, I happened upon this week's edition of my home town's local newspaper. Goldmine! I spent a considerable amount of time tonight reading about a fire in an old municipal building downtown that brought "hundreds of people" into the streets (the news story that was the genesis of my initial inquiry) and catching up on small town politics (um, can we say drama?!). I also came across the video below. The musical excerpt at the beginning of the clip - a rather fabulous bluesy/gospel keyboard introduction to a hymn played by an off-camera musician - is of some ethnomusicological interest. On a more personal level, it brought back memories of my piano lessons as a kid in which one lesson a month was spent learning how to embellish hymns (it worked, btw, i can embellish a hymn like you wouldn't believe).



*Note the confederate flag in the background of the pictures at the end of the video. You just can't make this stuff up.

fyi, here is another post about Erwin with pics

No comments: