Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Birthday to you (or, Google does Stravinsky)...

Good old google. You can always count on them to remind you of important events. Today they attempted to wish Igor Stravinsky a joyeux anniversaire.

I say attempted because, well, see for yourself...



Cute Firebird. Whatever. But floating music notes (can I get a cliché up in this house, what, what)? And if the caterpillar and the daisies are supposed to conjure up images of The Rite of Spring, I think the artist missed the whole pagan-ritual part of that ballet...


(Oh, how I love you, Vaslav Nijinsky...)

Of course, here is the Rite of Spring via your childhood (thanks, Walt Disney!). And speaking of Disney, I love Salonen and the L.A. Philharmonic's version for the Walt Disney Hall inauguration in 2003.

But really, this is why I love Stravinsky...



How do you say happy birthday in Russian?

1 comment:

Qaro said...

Thanks for the link to Fantasia! Awesome!