Thursday, June 25, 2009

Not like other guys...

Given that I was born in 1982, Thriller was a bit before my time - about a month before my time to be exact. Regardless, didn't we all grow up on MJ? (yes, yes, we did) I felt like those songs had just come out in the early 90s when I started sneaking behind my parents back and watching the videos on MTV (my parents were totally against MTV, clearly. corruption central, that place!).

One of my secret dreams in life has always been to one day be nonchalantly sifting through a t-shirt rack in a thrift store and happen across the piano key shirt Michael's wearing at the beginning of the Beat It video. As a nerdy kid taking piano lessons, that t-shirt confirmed to me on some level that my hobby must be cool.



I found it hilarious that the black keys were distributed incorrectly on the keyboard. SO FUNNY, Michael, SO FUNNY! He totally got my sense of humor.

Of course, in my dream, the shirt I find in the thrift store is the shirt - Michael's shirt - not just some cafe press wanna be version. (It should be noted that I also fantasize about uncovering an original Debussy manuscript in the depths of the depths of the basement of the Bibliotheque nationale...but who doesn't dream about that?). If I keep hanging out in libraries and thrift stores, I'm bound to happen upon some kind of historically significant musical artifact at some point, right? Rabbit trail...

Anyway, it's a sad day.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

'82, WHUT WHUT!

Um. Yeah. Anyway, it is sad news. However, as Cher said on Larry King last night, let's remember him the way he was up until about 15 years ago, before his freakishness got out of hand. AND SHE SHOULD KNOW, since her own freakishness got out of hand about 15 years ago, right?

c.e.w. said...

Oh, the complexity and intricacy of relative celebrity freakdom...

Somebody make a chart, asap!

j bullz said...

i forgot where i was when michael jackson died

...too soon? oops

c.e.w. said...

Wait. Michael Jackson died? When?