Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shows n' stuff...

The thing about live music - in any genre - is that the experience is completely different when you know the band/composer's music by heart and when you are hearing it for the first time live. Both experiences are great. Some of my favorite music is music I "discovered" live. Then there are those pieces you think you know, but when you hear them live your perception of them completely changes. I used to hate Bolero (boring, monotonous, didactic, blah, blah) until I saw an incredibly convincing performance that completely enthralled me. I was shocked...imagine...enthralled by Bolero. I'd probably heard that piece 100 times and never cared for it. But I will never forget that concert. You get my point...it's in the delivery.

I've seen a couple shows the last few weeks that I enjoyed on very different levels. Last night was Grizzly Bear at Granada with 1,100+ of my closest friends and a heat index of 104. I'm exaggerating. But no, really, it was fucking hot. The whole show was fantastic despite the not-great view and the sweaty stench (why are boys so tall and smelly? gross). One unexpected favorite moment last night was "Fine for Now." I like that song on the album, but live, I didn't want it to end...


Lyrics: "If we're all faltering, why'd I help with that?"

Two more things (and I'll stop gushing):
1. All four musicians in this band are equally strong and truly hold their own in a live show. There really is no weak link and no real star. Just four solid and multi-talented musicians. In that way (and also because of their seamless vocal harmonies), it reminded me of what hearing the Beatles live must've been like. Also like the Beatles, they delivered obtuse and complex melodies, harmonies, and rhythms in a completely accessible manner.
2. Ed Droste playing the autoharp. I played the autoharp when I was a kid. One can usually find an autoharp floating around in the choir rooms of rural Baptist churches and my mom used to play it in Sunday School. That's it, I'm getting one. So portable! Droste gave a very convincing autoharp performance.

I just got tired. I was going to write about Bonnie Prince Billy's live performance of "A King at Night" and my first impressions of PVC Street Gang , but I give up. I'd say "more later," but let's be honest...I rarely follow through...

No comments: