Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Video killed the radio star...

I like music videos. They are like opera. What is better than one art form? Two or three art forms combined. (Gesamtkunstwerk, baby!)

Anyway, I was thinking recently that music videos are powerful things (this is all relative of course...i mean powerful the way microwaves cook food, not the way jesus saves or obama gives you hope). For instance, there is this song that I love and have loved for several months now. It is a really good song. It doesn't get old. I play it on the piano and I still love it. I listen in my car. Still love it. But the video creeps me out. I hate the video so much that watching it actually made me like the song less. Even when I'm just listening, I see it in my head.



Creepy.

On the flip side, I have probably watched this next video 40 times.



It could be disturbing. Bloody masked people. War. But it is a good video. It's the choreography. Great choreography. It makes me like the song more.

What do you think? Agree? Disagree?

P.S. Daniel Rossen is in both bands. I love his voice and his music but I do wonder if he has nightmares...

2 comments:

nate said...

that whole dichotomous blink thing is strrrrange and, yeah, creepy. i need some emotions! sing it like you mean it droste!!

c.e.w. said...

agreed. more than being creepy, it is just a tad boring...