Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Halloween is scary. Or, why real clothes are better than costumes...

Halloween inevitably causes me stress. For the most part, I'm a fan. It's just the whole coming up with a creative costume that gets me every time! I HATE the pressure to be witty, sexy, scary, funny, creative, original, etc. More than that, I hate dressing up. I hate costumes. I hate spending money on costumes. I hate wearing costumes. I hate wearing wigs. I hate uncomfortable shoes. I hate strange makeup. Even when I do it successfully, I'm kinda miserable.

So last year and this year, in the spirit of "facing my fear" and "overcoming costume anxiety", I decided to be ridiculous and over the top with the costumes. In order to do so, I asked and answered the following questions:

(Last year) Q. Can you really make every costume into a sexy costume by putting on fishnets and a mini skirt? A. Yes. Which is why my friend Rhea and I dressed up as "Sexy Thomas Jefferson" and "Sexy Abe Lincoln". See below.



Link
(This year): Q. Can you really make any costume scary with a little blood and gore? A. We'll see....but i'm going to try my best. My roommate and I are going as "Zombie Olympic Gymnasts". More specifically, I'm going to be "Zombie Nastia Liukin." I went to American Apparel tonight to get the gymnast part of my outfit (seriously, where else would a twenty-something urbanite find a leotard these days?). This is a scary photo I took in the dressing room. I'm gonna have to do some drinking before I brave the outside world in this one.




Now I just need gold medals, glitter makeup, tape and chalk for my hands and feet, blood, gore, and some open wounds...

Also, I think I'm retiring from Halloween costumes after this.

No comments: