Thursday, October 16, 2008

Katie the Piano Teacher's political musings...

In just THREE short weeks the election season will be over and (fingers crossed and barring lawsuits and/or further florida shenanigans) we'll know who will be our next president. So in the spirit of savoring the last few mud-slinging, pundit-shouting, poll-analyzing moments, here are my thoughts on the debate.

1. Bob Schieffer wins as best moderator. His questions weren't necessarily more interesting or nuanced than those of Tom Brokaw or Gwen Eiffel, but he did the best job of encouraging actual debate between Obama and McCain. He also kept things moving without coming across like a middle school debate team time-keeper.

2. Joe the Plumber. Seriously? Could either of them have mentioned him any more? And does pandering to people by reducing them to a first name and an "everyman" job really appeal to anyone?? I get mentioning him once or twice, but it got completely out of control.

3. John McCain came off sounding like a whiny little boy. Let me summarize his response to Schieffer's question about the increasing negative tone of the campaign. This is what I heard: "I don't want to admit I did anything wrong. It is your fault we have to accuse you of palling around with terrorists. If you would have just done town hall meetings with me like I told you to, I would never have suggested it. Also, if you get upset about people calling you a terrorist and yelling 'kill him' at my rallies, you are actually being negative and are calling sweet old grandpa veteran supporters bad, bad people. And finally, my feelings are hurt because one person (who isn't you and isn't associated with your campaign) said one thing about me that I don't like. You need to apologize on his behalf and are a horrible, mean, vicious person for not doing so already. Also, you have negative attack ads, too. One time, when I was watching football, I saw one where you said something bad about my health care policy. Humph."

4. John McCain did not wear a flag pin tonight. Obama did. I personally don't give a shit. But I'm just sayin'...

No comments: