Sunday, October 19, 2008

So, 25 is NOT the new 15...




Sometimes I hate living in Texas. It is too hot. There is almost zero natural beauty (at least in/around Dallas). And then there are the fake boobs, the Hummers, the hordes of conservatives, the oil drills, well, you get the point...

But, sometimes, Texas isn't so bad. We have great tex-mex, cheap rent, amazing tex-mex, big, beautiful skies, and the annual state fair. Did I mention great tex-mex?? Anyway, I went to the fair tonight and it was one of those perfect Texas fall nights. The weather was lovely; it was 65 degrees and a little breezy. There weren't too many people there on a Sunday night and I got to eat fried pickles, freshly fried potato chips (pictured below), and (this just might blow your mind) a fried banana split.....YUM.....but also a little gross.



So, the point of this post is that I learned a little lesson tonight. Simply put: I'm too old for crazy fair rides. I'm especially too old for crazy fair rides immediately following the consumption of crazy greasy fair food.



When I was fifteen, I had a stomach of steel. I could eat any fried food you put in my face and still ride every roller coaster or flipping, spinning, whip-lashing, fair ride at least seven times and not feel a thing! This has changed. I discovered this tonight when I decided to ride the "Techno Power" ride after consuming the foods listed above. Why did I decide to do this? It must've been the lovely weather, the intoxicating lights of the fair, the carnies yelling on the Midway, little kids running around with giant stuffed animals, old memories of fun times at theme parks and Coney Island when I was a kid, or some combination of the above. Anyway, even as I was strapping myself into the seat tonight, I was convinced I was going to have the most fun ever and that the ride was totally worth my $5. It wasn't until it really got going that I realized I'm not the girl I once was. The entire time I was on the fucking thing, all I could do was yell at the top of my lungs (while, ironically, i was laughing uncontrollably), "I'm MISERABLE!!! MISERABLE!!!"

My stomach is still doing flips. I think I need to go lay down...

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Nausea aside, I'm totally jealous. The fair is one thing I REALLY miss about Texas. The other things are Tex-Mex, Tex-Mex, and Tex-Mex.

Also, fried banana split: OMG.