Friday, November 7, 2008

How the other half lives. Or, Highland Park's got the blues...

I teach private piano lessons in homes (er...um...mansions) in Highland Park, one of the most affluent neighborhoods in Dallas. Now, in general, I don't tend to bite the proverbial hand that quite literally feeds me. That being said...

This last week was bizarre. Everyone in Highland Park (with very few exceptions) seemed depressed after Tuesday's election and pretty much just acted as if nothing of significance had happened. They were moping. They looked defeated and miserable on Wednesday morning at Starbucks and walked around like stunned, sad puppies. I felt awkward because I (still) can't quit smiling. Now, obviously I avoid politics in conversations with my student's parents. But, kids talk (and frequently say the darndest things...) Nearly everyone one of my students last week mentioned being upset about the election results. This was the most humorous post-election analysis from a little girl I teach on Wednesdays:

M. (8): Man, this is a bad day.
Me: Oh, why is that?
M.: Well, we had two really big elections at our school yesterday. One was, you know, the one with Obama and McCain, and I wanted McCain to win soooo bad but he lost. The other one was for like, third grade class president, and I wanted my best friend to win but this boy beat her. (Huge sigh...)

I need a change of scenery. Perhaps somewhere where people are happy and, oh, i don't know, maybe feeling a little hopeful???

2 comments:

Paul said...

there's plenty of hope where i live (minus the anger about prop 8). AND we have foliage.

c.e.w. said...

i know!! you live in a very good place...

i think i need to come visit again.