Monday, January 19, 2009

Presidential musical chairs. Or, happenings of the musically historical and historically musical variety...

A few things that caught my eyes and ears around the interwebs this week:

1. Oh the things you learn on NPR...
Three guys wrote a song for every single American president. You can read about it here and listen to song number 44 here. I listened to several pieces from the project. Love the idea. But, unfortunately, I can't say much for the execution. Even when Rosie Thomas is singing them (I love her), the lyrics "we thank you for your wonderful foreign policy" should really just never be sung. It doesn't work. And if you don't believe me, listen to the thirty second clip of Jimmy Carter: A Great Beam of Light on iTunes and find out for yourself.

2. Seventy years before the inauguration of our first black president...
Marian Anderson sings in front of the Lincoln Memorial in 1939 after the DAR banned her from singing in Constitution Hall:



3. I love Ann Telnaes so bad...
Regretfully they tell us,
But firmly they compel us
To say goodby to you.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.


4. And I guess I have to conclude with this...

My thoughts: God, I hate Josh Groban. What a giant cheese ball. Bono looks really old. Weird. Speaking of old, Pete Seeger is Ninety. Ninety! And he is absolutely adorable. And finally, Beyonce brought it home, yo.

Happy MLK day and happy inaugurating!

No comments: