Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A jazz trio covers Stravinsky. Finally! It's about time, sheesh...

On their new record, For All I Care, The Bad Plus succeeds in creating near perfect neoclassical jazz in their cover of Stravinsky's Apollo Variation. This is very good news to my ears and endears them to me greatly. The perfection is achieved primarily (in my opinion) through clarity of structure and the restraint and angularity of Ethan Iverson's melodies at the piano. If I'm gushing a bit here, just know I have an affinity for Stravinsky's neoclassicism (and for pianistic angularity and restraint in particular) that borders on the obsessive. Anyway, it's a great piece (obsession aside). And heaven came down and glory filled my soul...





**Sincere apologies for the utterly meaningless and completely context-less quotation of Baptist hymn lyrics above. Sometimes phrases from old hymns slip into my conversation or appear on my computer screen unexpectedly. Just the other day a kid in my music appreciation class said, "I have a question." Now, it really annoys me when students take the time to state that fact. Just ASK the goddamn question! Anyway, I almost snapped back snarkily, "What can wash away your sins??? Nothing but the blood of Jesus, duh." Clearly I kept this thought to myself, but that is what popped into my head. Does this tourette-like spouting of hymn lyrics happen to anyone else out there in inter-web-wide-world-land, or is it just me? I know, I know, it's just me. And I'm starting to regret bringing this up. Good night, world (and moon) and may peace like a river attendeth your soul...

1 comment:

bobrox said...

ha! hymn tourettes. i totally suffer from that. constantly. it's wonderful. enjoyed that video. i couldn't possibly find words for it like you did, but thanks for sharing it just the same.